“The Entity Debate: Has The Verdict Changed?”
-Two and a half years ago, there was debate amongst SEO testers about entities.
-Some argued they should do more research while others called it a ridiculous thing to do in SEO.
-I want to look back on these claims and see how things have panned out today.
-My tested data has shown entities are important for optimal utilization methods.
-Still some people stubbornly believe that entities are not a thing even though it is the definition of them.
-Others jumped the gun on their hardline position without seeking further evidence first.
-Old videos online still influence people’s opinions today despite all the testing done since then.
“Contextualizing The Knowledge Graph: Finding The ‘Things’ Among The ‘Strings'”
-In May of 2012, Google coined the phrase ‘things not strings’ as part of their introduction to the Knowledge Graph.
-The Knowledge Graph is made up of entities which are nouns that Google’s AI can understand contextually.
-Collections of related entities on a page form the topic of that page and describe what it is about.
-Google has publicly admitted to using entities, such as in a quote from Gary Illyes at PubCon: “In web search we have entities for very popular authors.”
“Illuminating The Entities Of Google Search: Uncovering Hidden Gems”
-Google was displaying entities in desktop search, but took it away for fear of signaling too much.
However, you can still find them if you open a Google incognito window and use the inspect feature to select ‘iPhone 12 Pro’ from the dimension drop down.
-Entity cards contain important words that are topically relevant to your search query; this helps Google understand what type of page it is and how best to rank it.
-Examples of entity cards include types of frogs, types of lawyers, types of bags, types of gemstones, etc.-You can tell if something may be an entity by looking at whether or not there is a dedicated Wikipedia page about it. Wikipedia draws from databases such as Freebase and Wikidata which also have specific Entity Database IDs.
“Unlock The Secrets Of Patio Furniture: An Exploration Of Data Entities”
– I recently discussed the importance of understanding different types of patio furniture; aluminum, rod iron, rot iron, Adirondack wood table chase lounge wicker and more.
– Testing concepts about entities can be done with obscure ancient microscopic fossils since they have no search volume as an effective test bed.
– Through inspecting entity cards on public databases such as WikiData or FreeBase Google’s S12, one can find information like data entity IDs and related names.
– There is evidence from SEOS successfully ranking pages using entities that show its influence on rankings such as statistical data and proprietary research to back it up.
“A Search Engine’s Perspective On Entities And LSI Keywords”
-When looking for evidence, it is more compelling to look at the actual search engine behavior rather than what a guru says.
-My skepticism towards entities changed when I saw how the algorithm reacted and it was hard to deny that they had an effect on search engine rankings.
-The best way to use entities in testing or on websites is to pick those that make sense for your content and pepper them throughout appropriately.
-It’s important not overuse entities as some can take you off topic, so only select the ones relevant to your topic.
-LSI keywords are words that co-occur on pages that rank well, and are discovered statistically which makes them similar with entities but restricted by language limitations of entity databases.
-Tools like TextRazer can help you find related entities efficiently and accurately.
“Organizing SEO Factors For Success”
– I use Quora for entity data and the Text Razer tool built on the Google NLP stack
– There are a variety of keyword tools available to extract entities from webpages
– A/B testing is important to verify results with SEO methods
– Paul reported that his website increased after using entities, which has been seen by many other SEOs as well
– The transition from Skype to Slack was successful in creating a better user experience
– The new members area and testing setup make it easier organize positive ranking factors, negative ranking factors, keyword research etc.